Monday, September 16, 2013

In continuation of the last blog

Band- Operation Ivy

"Success is obedience to a structured way of life"

My primary job required repeated tasks like every other job in there. On that particular day, I was lucky enough to have worn a newer pair of shoes rather than my old faded black dilapidated slip on's, which are ravaged with holes.  I sacrificed comfort for uncomfortable yet durable shoes yet don't regret it.  Had I worn my regular kick ass vans, the bus ride home on the 38 would have been an extravagant nightmare more than the usual delirium of riding the muni when it's like a cat in heat for commuters.  By the end of my shift, my shoes were soggy as well as the lower part of my pants.  The whole dishwashing room is like a water ride without the thrill unless the thrill is helping others free of admission for everyone
    I was also fortunate enough to have reliable gloves on. Not the worthless plastic gloves a fifteen year old wanker uses as a substitute for a condom but the more durable long lasting synthetic material doctors should use.  Even with the help of the gloves the hot water still pierced my hands as I gathered up the steaming hot trays for yet another round of back and forth routine work.  I hauled the trays from my insular end through  the narrow urethra of a one way lane that opens up to the back end of the dining room where the designated soldier takes the load to the front of the line.  Most of the time I handled the trays, and the most frequent utensil were the small blue plastic cups that presented another challenge.  Unlike the trays that had to be stacked like lego blocks, the cups had to remain tucked into the square plastic rack and taken up to the front. The most difficult part was getting past the narrow walkway because it had to be done with enough accuracy and celerity of motion.  Each time I made my way back through the narrow corridor with the cup-racks in hand, I tilted the rack approximately 45 degrees; 50 degrees would've most likely tilted the cups out of their slots thus producing a big fucking disorder, and an acute 40 degrees would've surely caused me to inadvertently bump into my comrade working on the cramped line, the same lady who asked me for help; she's not the type of lady who takes kindly to stupid accidents. In fact it seems to me that every individual, volunteer and non-volunteer, who works at Glide has an important job that he/she will complete as we are all defined to have a purpose set by circumstance, obedience, and a structured way of life.  By the end I was able to successfully complete me job flawlessly without disruption  and acting to get things done on time and without delay.  I was successful because I was obedient to the structure I was placed in, I advantageously manipulated the shitty structure I was placed in. This is the wisdom of everyday life for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment