Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Garden Bookstore

Music: Star Fucking Hipsters
Album: Until We're Dead

"When the day is through it's all your fault and my fault too".
"Just twelve steps and your empathy degrades".

,
      Working in the Garden Bookstore as a volunteer is the best job anyone can do for free.  There's a shitload of downtime, which I freely take advantage of, listen to Pandora, youtube stuff, read and write.  Plus, of course, I have my primary duty of helping customers, working the register, opening and closing the shop.
      People from all over the world and country come to visit the Arboretum, and in addition to working, I also get to interact with people from all walks of life from everywhere.  The other day a very nice grandmother, who spoke in a Southern accent, came in and bought several uniquely crafted bells for her grandchildren plus a manual about distinguishing trees, a substantial purchase that summed up to about $100.00.  Her husband was a bit impatient, yet she persisted anyway with buying ornamental bells for her youngins.  My grandma still spoils me, and I love her for it, in fact, so much that I endured the needle of bliss to copy her imprint on my ribs- that sucker hurt like a motherfucker.
      On one very slow Monday morning I spent most of my free time watching funny ass Christopher Walken impersonations on Youtube, ain't that guy fucking quirky.  I came to the imperative conclusion that Kevin Pollack does the best impression of him; he also does an awesome Jack Nicholson and naturally any famous person. As a result of being highly amused and bored, I went through the rest of my day speaking in my own crappy Walken voice. My entrance into fame... "WOW."
      The rest of the bookstore volunteers and manager are great people to work and be around.  I've become very good friends with Dennis the manager. We're both huge soccer fanatics, so we frequently talk soccer.  Dennis claims that since I'm full bodied Brasilian, the game is in my blood, and I'd have to agree. I played the sport in my youth and would want to continue to play now with the exception that it's too goddamn exhausting- serious beer drinking seems to pack a few hundred pounds.  I'd rather play chess and break a mental sweat.  I also have to give my props to Vicky. Truth is, she is a groovy individual with an exceptional knack for scoring points on the scrabble board.  She also taught me the bookstore ropes.
      The Garden Bookstore is a fun little place that I look forward to being a part of.  The people who volunteer and work there are an integral part of what makes this bookstore thrive, and I'm proud to say that they are my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment