Sunday, June 30, 2013

First thing on my list... Marriage Equality

Band: The Beatles
"All you need is love, love is all you need"


The first thing on my list is marriage equality, death to prop 8.  I got very involved in the marriage equality movement almost five years ago when voters passed the prop 8 initiative.  I took to the street along with the hoards of people and marched from the Mission to the Castro singing songs of protest.  I remember very vividly this particular night in the City, not a happy night, but nonetheless defying the system is one of San Francisco's favorite past time. We'd protest the weather if we were bored enough.  That was a four and a half years ago.
       On Wednesday night, June 26th, I went to the Castro to celebrate with my local San Franciscans the happy news of that morning.  The Castro was alive with people of all sexual orientation cheering, laughing, smiling, commemorating, and of course partying.  We took to the streets the stubborn hope that persisted for nearly five years and longer through court arguments, legal discrimination, and the fury of those wonderful religious bigots who belong to the flat earth society, in the Castro on June 26th; hope that erupted into praise for marriage equality, still going forward. The gathering was immediate in itself that it would have been unnatural to wait till the weekend; I tip my hat to people to have been partying non stop.  I was also very happy that no one was severely injured and people were safe.
      I feel that the lawyers who defended prop 8 did so in vain only because in the end they weren't even legally eligible to be in court to put nicely or in other words: You don't belong in court, get the fuck out. It was like they were t he ones on trial.  And shame on the justices for sidestepping in their ruling.  They had the chance to settle this incendiary dispute permanently but instead concluded on a technicality.  Just to point some things out... but I'm still stoked about the endgame.
      Eventually I walked a few blocks to Lucky 13, which in this moment is my favorite bar in the Castro area. I've been to Moby Dick only because I read the novel, but it was too gay in there; I mean this in the best possible way.  I like Lucky 13 mainly because of the music they play- punk, ska, psychobilly, and whatever you consider the Clash to be musically.  All the other bars in the Castro were inhumanly crowded as I had expected. I made it in time for happy hour and had enough time to take down three beers while I was there, a total of 45 minutes.  The bar itself is super long, and there's an upstairs section with tables and pin ball machines.  Outside there is a patio for smokers to light up, and the F line stops nearby.  It's a cool looking bar too.
      Unfortunately I didn't get to go to Pride Fest. I went the last few years but this was the fucking year to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment